The following describe a number of our core learning competencies for Fitness and Health Promotion.
- Fitness assessment: Student utilizes best practice for pre-screening (e.g. PAR-Q, consent, and resting HR and BP) and assessment (e.g. aerobic, musculoskeletal, and body composition). Student properly interprets and shares health ratings with client.
- Exercise prescription: Student properly integrates assessment results within program design. Student prescribes suitable aerobic, resistance and flexibility exercises. Student includes a warm-up, cool-down and appropriate exercise progressions and regressions.
- Behaviour Change: Student uses motivational language appropriate for client’s stage of change. Student uses open ended questioning and active listening to develop rapport with client. Student creates a positive environment for change.
- Personal training: Student demonstrates and executes (including proper spotting and safety practices) exercises within client’s program. Student is motivating and engaging.
- Group fitness: Student demonstrates good energy during class. Student presents clearly. Student provides exercise progressions and regressions to accommodate varying abilities within class. Student demonstrates safety best practices.
- Health Promotion: Student displays an appreciation for the personal, social, economic and environmental factors which determine the health status of individuals or populations. Student contributes to a cause or event which positively impacts the health and well-being of a population or group.
- Business Practices: Student contributes to basic marketing (e.g. newsletter creation, website upkeep and/or email communication) and sales. Student demonstrates introductory knowledge related to fees, budgeting and policy.
- Health and Safety: Student implements safety and risk management best practices including: cleaning and infectious disease prevention, quality assurance equipment checks, documentation, confidentiality and incident reporting.
Using the core learning competencies/areas of specialization, please identify 3 goals, with anticipated completion timelines, the student will complete through this placement
I have read the placement overview, agreement and feedback forms and agree to implement and support the recommendations and guidelines provided.